Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO), is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Youth Engagement, Empowerment & Resilience Adviser (National Volunteer)
Type of role: Advocacy policy and research
Start date: 15th April, 2021.
Job Purpose: Support Challenge Fund Implementing partners to develop and implement appropriate strategic approaches on youth engagement and empowerment.
- The Challenge Fund for Youth Employment (CFYE) https://fundforyouthemployment.nl/, initiated by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA), aims to create new jobs and make jobs more accessible for 200.000 youth (half of these for women) in the ministry’s priority focus countries in the Middle East, North Africa, Sahel & West Africa and the Horn of Africa. The fund is open to Private sector and (I)NGO applications (or mixed consortia). VSO will strengthen the work of the selected Implementing Partners through strategic VSO volunteer engagements.
- The aim of the Fund will be achieved by supporting youth employment initiatives in these regions. Initiatives will offer youth, particularly young women, opportunities for decent work that delivers better prospects for personal development, is productive, and offers a stable income, social protection and safe working conditions.
- Strengthen the private sector to engage with youth and to create decent work for youth that meets their aspirations and provides them voice and agency. Develop knowledge products for youth empowerment and support the implementation of these tools within private sector companies, micro small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) and target communities.
Expected Responsibilities (to be confirmed and refined):
As a Youth Engagement & Empowerment Adviser you will:
- Support partners in developing knowledge products (definitions, guidance, tools, trainings, research, etc.).
- Research barriers in youth economic empowerment.
- Ensure that the lessons learned are retrieved from within the organization and are applied in the programs.
- Make sure that there is an effective M&E report and monitor the learnings on youth engagement and empowerment within employment programs.
- You work in a multidimensional project team, with experts on different kind of areas.
- Advise on companies on how to build up a resilient workforce
- Conduct on the job training for the target audience and support the revision of the training modules for capacity building of the private sector, to ensure that they are gender and youth responsive.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- You have a Bachelor’s / Master’s degree in Behavioral and Social Science, HR or Business Administration or you are an Economist
- You have proven experience (3+ years) in Livelihoods or Economic Empowerment programming
- You have worked for a Private Sector organization
- You have experience with youth engagement policies and strategies, implementation and advisory
- You have experience as an advisor / consultant working with companies, or you have a track record of inputting technical advice into large, successful donor projects, working with country and regional offices, companies, governments and international organizations in a supportive manner
- Experience with Corporate Social Responsibility
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
- Open-minded and respectful
- Resilient and adaptive to new situations
- Facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
- Seek and share knowledge
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
In-country National volunteers
- You will be sharing your skills with implementing partners and other stakeholders on a full-time basis. VSO covers your pre-placement preparation (training, medical and security clearance), arrange and covers your accommodation, medical insurance costs, work-related expenses and a local living allowance.
- Advertised Duration: The duration of this placement will be 6 or possibly 12 months.
- This is a generic role description. We expect more specific jobs to become available soon for a start between April 2021 and June 2021. It is possible that the focus and responsibilities of this specific job will be slightly different. If you are interested in this, or similar positions, please express your interest by clicking on the ‘make an application’ button below. In this way we can start managing a talent pool and be prepared for future roles
Application Deadline 31st December, 2020.
Interview Date 18th January, 2021.