UN Women – In July 2010, the United nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Operations Intern
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Time left: 3d 20h 23m
Additional Category: Gender Equality
Type of Contract: Internship
Post Level: Intern
Duration of Initial Contract: 6 Months
Expected Duration of Assignment: 6 Months
- UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action, and peace and security.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The intern will work with the Operations team of CO-Nigeria, supporting these key functions. The Operations team is situated in Abuja.
- The intern will learn about the dynamic functions of the UN, the collaborative work among UN agencies, operational processes, and their importance to programmatic delivery, and learn how the interaction of operations and programme together achieve programme delivery.
- Under the overall supervision of the UN Women Nigeria CO Operations Manager, the intern will be expected to perform the following duties:
- Finance Function support: Filing of finance documents, scanning and uploading of all financial documents to the electronic filing system, preparing UNDP payment schedule, supporting finance processes.
- Procurement support – support with procurement processes for the offices and for Programme delivery. The intern will learn about UN Women’s procurement processes, Micro-purchasing, RFP, RFQ, ITB, and the use of the e-procurement system. The intern will assist in updating UN Women’s vendor roster
- UN Common Services and Joint Operational activities – support in common services and joint operations collaborations among the UN agencies in Abuja.
- Administration – support as required in other administrative areas including hardcopy and e-filing, developing/populating an e-registry system in collaboration with the operations team.
- The purpose of the Internship Programme is to provide students, individuals who are enrolled in a mandatory national service programme, and recent graduates from diverse academic backgrounds exposure to working with gender equality issues and a first-hand experience with the day-to-day working environment of UN Women
- Interns will get to understand the policies and procedures of UN Women and gain experience providing operations support to UN Women programmes and personnel.
Required Skills and Experience
- University studies in one of the following disciplines: Social Sciences including Administration, Management, Economics, Accounting, or other relevant subjects; Science and Technology including computer sciences, mathematics, or other relevant subjects, is required.
- Meet one of the following:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second University Degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program which is part of a degree programme and undertakes the internship as part of the program requirements
- Be enrolled in a mandatory national service programme of which the internship may form a part;
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation; or
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required;
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to administer and execute administrative and procurement processes and transactions;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, and Microsoft Word programs;
- Ability to extract and interpret data
- Ability to prioritize work and to multi-task.
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Ability to learn and follow multiple administrative rules and regulations;
Interns who are not in receipt of financial support from other sources such as universities or other institutions will receive a stipend from UN Women to partially subsidize t heir basic living costs for the duration of the internship.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Enter your email address below and get more Updates like this for free!
Subscribe to the site Jobrecruitmentportal.com using your Email address. Subscription is FREE
Jobrecruitmentportal.com is a job, vacancy, and career opportunity blog. We share daily updates on available Jobs, vacancies, local and international scholarships, Government/international organization loans, and grants.
Jobrecruitmentportal.com is not an agent of this organization, we can not assist any applicant to secure a job, loan, grant, or scholarship. We only share the information for interested persons to apply.
Jobrecruitmentportal admins will never call any applicant requesting payment of any kind or request for any OTP code.
Our services are free of charge.