The U.S. Embassy Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
U.S. Embassy Recruitment 2023
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Trade Helper – All Interested Candidates
Announcement Number: Abuja-2023-031
Series/Grade: LE – 1210 3
Promotion Potential: LE-3
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is BB. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
- The incumbent reports directly to the Air conditioning Maintenance Foreman.
- The position holder is employed as a Trades Helper to assist the technicians of the skilled trades in the performance of routine and preventive maintenance, and new installations and demolition work.
- The Air conditioning Maintenance Foreman will assign the incumbent to any of the skilled trade shops on a daily basis to assist the skilled technicians with maintenance and repair work throughout the New Embassy Compound/New Consulate Compound (NEC/NCC) office buildings, grounds and residential owned/leased properties.
- In addition to assisting the skilled trade technicians, the incumbent may be assigned tasks include material handling, painting, custodial type work, common laborer work, and grounds maintenance and gardening work.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Completion of high school is required.
- Minimum of two (2) years of maintenance or construction semi-skilled work experience in skilled trades such as masonry, mechanical (HVAC and Plumbing), electrical, carpentry, with significant focus on building systems is required.
- Must have a basic technical understanding of major building mechanical systems and equipment.
- Must be familiar with construction techniques and workplace safety, personal protective equipment (PPE) – how and when to use it.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Limited knowledge written/speaking/reading English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- The incumbent must be a visionary, forward thinker, and quick understudy with an aptitude to learn so he/she can anticipate the materials and tools the skilled technician will need ahead of time.
- Must be able to use the typical lot of hand tools, small handheld power tools, vacuum cleaners, gardening tools, and ladders;
- Work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, heights, and temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors to complete work assignments;
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks;
- Be able to take direction and must be organized;
- Communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, contractors and vendors to obtain and provide pertinent information
- Must be adept at keeping work sites free of clutter and debris, clean and neat;
- Must have a valid driver’s license for standard vehicles;
- Must use good safety practices and follow all safety requirements in execution of tasks and be able to use all appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE);
- Additional abilities include responding to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repairs;
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link .
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN 3,085,719 (USD 24,749) / Annum
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 20th March, 2023.
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Secondary School Certificate
- Valid Nigerian Driver’s License
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
Important Information & Notice
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria
Enter your email address below and get more Updates like this for free!
Subscribe to the site Jobrecruitmentportal.com using your Email address. Subscription is FREE
Like our Facebook page for direct updates
Jobrecruitmentportal.com is a job, vacancy, and career opportunity blog. We share daily updates on available Jobs, vacancies, local and international scholarships, Government/international organization loans, and grants.
Jobrecruitmentportal.com is not an agent of this organization, we can not assist any applicant to secure a job, loan, grant, or scholarship. We only share the information for interested persons to apply.
Jobrecruitmentportal admins will never call any applicant requesting payment of any kind or request for any OTP code.
Our services are free of charge.
Beware of fraudsters
Be the first to comment