The U.S. Embassy Job Recruitment for a Public Health Specialist– the U.S. Embassy is recruiting candidates suitable for the position of a Public Health Specialist. Interested candidates should follow the guidelines below to apply.
The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
Job Title: Public Health Specialist – Employees of Mission-All/or USEFMs, EFMs or MOHs) (Deputy Director for Programs)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2022-034
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Series / Grade: LE – 0540 13
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hour per week
Promotion Potential: LE-13
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.
- Current Employees of the Mission – This includes U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs); Eligible Family Members (EFMs); Declared Members of Household (MOHs), dependents of U.S. Personal Services Contract (USPSC) who are assigned under COM – All Agencies
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: Yes
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required:
- 50% or less
- Job holder routinely travels to CDC project sites and facilities to monitor program activities. 30-35% of time will be spent on local and international travel for site visits, workshops, trainings, conference etc.
- The incumbent serves as the senior technical advisor to the Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Nigeria Office.
- The job holder shares oversight responsibilities for the development and implementation of public health-related technical program activities and has direct responsibility for day-to-day coordination of office / branch administrative management activities that implement or support the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), the Global Health Initiative (GHI) and other USG funded public health activities.
- Incumbent has the primary responsibility for liaising with the Nigerian government, other donors, implementing partners and other stakeholder to foster a collaborative environment and ensure that CDC-funded projects align with national priorities that are in accordance with agency regulations, CDC, GHI, and PEPFAR Strategic objectives, international ethical guidelines and standards for public health care.
- Other duties include program planning and development, grants administration and oversight of contracts and cooperative agreements.
- Candidates must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine or PhD in Public Health or Health Policy or equivalent is required.
- Note: NYSC Certificate or Exemption document is required.
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible senior public health experience in public health service delivery projects within an HIV/AIDS field, while working closely with the Ministry of Health or other stakeholders in the public health field is required.
- Additional two (2) years managerial responsibilities with multiple staffing reporting is required.
- Must possess comprehensive knowledge of the programs, policies, regulations, protocols and ethical considerations applicable to the development and administration of national or international HIV/AIDS and other disease public health programs.
- S/he must have an excellent understanding of the public health system in Nigeria and a good working knowledge of the U.S. Government public health programs and strategies, especially those related to PEPFAR.
- A detailed working knowledge of other host government and international public health systems is required.
- Working knowledge of administrative, budgeting and fiscal management systems in the support of funding mechanisms such as contracts, cooperative agreements, grants, and purchase requisitions.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluent speaking / reading / writing English is required.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills to work with all levels of staff in a team setting to accomplish program goals.
- A high level of oral and written communication skills is required in order to convey program progress, technical requirement and to influence other collaborative organizations engaged in HIV/AIDS Programs to adopt appropriate strategies for their program activities.
- Good working knowledge of higher level mathematical calculations, computer programs and software, with good keyboarding skills that include speed and accuracy.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN25, 460,259 Annually.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Residency and / or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- Certificate or License
- NYSC Certificate or Exemption
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria
13th April, 2022.
Enter your email address below and get more Update like this for free!
Subscribe to the site Jobrecruitmentportal.com using your Email address. Subscription is totally FREE