Tearfund Nigeria is recruiting suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant job positions in their company. Interested candidates should kindly follow the job application guidelines below to apply successfully.
Tearfund is a Christian international relief and development agency working globally to end poverty and injustice, and to restore dignity and hope in some of the world’s poorest communities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Construction Project Manager
Job ID: 2476
Location: Yola, Adamawa
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Team: Nigeria, West Africa Region
Responsible To: Country Director (matrixed to Senior Project Manager (Norad) for day-to-day
Region: West Africa
Job Category: International Relief & Development (Outside UK)
- Tearfund has secured funding from Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (Norad) to establish a plastic recycling project in Yola.
- A significant component of the project is the construction of a recycling hub on a plot of land which has been secured by the project.
- The project is being implemented jointly by Tearfund and its local partner (Yola Renewal Foundation).
- Tearfund is looking to recruit a Construction Site Manager to oversee the development of the site, and to ensure the site is completed safely, within an agreed timeframe and budget, at the required quality. The role will manage the practical side of every stage of the build, working closely with building professionals in the planning and delivery.
- The role will also supervise and direct a range of operations on the construction site, ensuring that all tradespeople and contractors work together to an agreed plan, and ensuring that progress is made. The role will oversee the whole site, which will include the following specific construction aspects:
- Construction of a secure perimeter wall for site (110 ft x 200 ft) with entrance and exit points as per plan
- Drilling of borehole and construction of storage tower/water tank
- Provision of electricity through transformer and laying of underground wiring
- Construction of factory building
- To act as liaison between contractors, Tearfund and YRF staff based in Yola and Jos;
- To manage relationships with key stakeholders;
- To utilise professional levels of organisation and attention to detail to ensure that contractors complete their works efficiently and effectively in strict compliance with time and budget expectations.
- In close coordination with logistics colleagues, overseeing the hiring, contracts, schedules, safety compliance, and adherence to local laws concerning factories.
- Manage timelines, setting contractor schedules and delivery dates for different elements of the construction through determining the order/sequence in which contractors work, ensuring that necessary and relevant materials are available, and ensuring all forms of delay by contractors due to conflicting project elements are prevented.
- Consulting and liaising with Tearfund/YRF staff (as clients of the contractors) throughout the life cycles; accompanying them on site visits, answering questions related to the construction and overall progress, and conveying in advance any proposed changes between Tearfund/YRF and the contractors.
- Ensuring and maintaining the safety of the construction site, setting and enforcing standards, ensuring that contractors adhere to proper safety protocols.
- Collaborate with engineers architects etc. to determine the specifications of the project
- Organize schedule of work, costings and budget and ensuring the project is delivered on time and on budget through setting benchmarks and monitoring intermediate phases to ensure deadlines will be met
- Obtain the necessary permits and assessments with relevant government ministries
- Oversee and direct the activities of a range of contractors and subcontractors
- Oversee site preparation and foundation works through to the final stages of the construction of a recycling hub. (installation of machinery will be undertaken by suppliers/production manager and will not fall under the duties expected of the Construction Site Manager)
- Supervise the work of contractors and their labourers, and give guidance when needed
- Checking quality of materials supplied for each phase of the project
- 100 Church Road, Teddington TW11 8QE United Kingdom
- T +44 (0)20 3906 3906 E email@example.com www.tearfund.org
- Monitoring build costs and project progress
- Maintaining quality control checks
- Day to day problem solving and dealing with any issues that arise
- Working on-site in all weathers,
- Ensure adherence to all health and safety standards and report issues
- Escalating any emerging issues and risks to line manager
Qualifications and Requirements
- Candidates must have a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree level qualification in Architecture, Construction Management, Civil Engineering or related or relevant discipline.
- Candidates should have a Master’s Degree in a related discipline or in International Development, Project Management, Humanitarian Action or related field.
- Proven experience as construction project manager
- In-depth understanding of construction procedures and material and project management principles
- Familiarity with quality and health and safety standards
- Outstanding communication and negotiation skills
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills
- A team player with leadership abilities
- Excellent project management skills
- Experience in tendering and developing tender documents
- Experience of working in the construction sector in Yola, Adamawa State
- Experience of working in a humanitarian organisation within the Shelter Cluster.
- Numerical and IT skills,
- Knowledge of relevant building methods and codes
- Using specialist project management computer programmes
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail for managing complex contracts
- Budgeting and financial management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Good time management skills
- Ability to manage competing demands, prioritise and make decisions under pressure.
- Verbal and written communication skills in Hausa
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural setting
- Committed Christian with a personal relationship with God
- Committed to Tearfund’s Mission, Values and Beliefs
- Regular travel across cluster countries is a requirement
- All roles require a DBS/Police check
- Tearfund is a member of the SCHR Misconduct Disclosure Scheme
- Personal identification information will be submitted against a Watch list database to check against criminal convictions as a counter-terror measure.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply online
Application Closing Date
26th May 2022.
Potential Interview Date
30th May, 2022.
Enter your email address below and get more Update like this for free!
Subscribe to the site Jobrecruitmentportal.com using your Email address. Subscription is totally FREE