Save the Children recruitment 2020/2021. In this article you will get the latest information on how to apply for the ongoing save the children job application form online….See the requirement and guideline here.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Media and Communication Manager
Job ID: 2000041X
Location: Abuja / Country Office
Post Type: National
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Team / Programme: Advocacy and Campaigns
Level 3: The role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in-country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- The Media and Communication Manager will undertake, coordinate, and manage the design and implementation of SCI Nigeria media, internal and external communications activities, including but not limited to producing briefing papers around Every Last Child Campaign, Girls Education Campaign, and Stop the War on Children campaign.
- The post-holder will manage Save the Children’s media work in Nigeria, harnessing the power of national and international media to help us achieve our advocacy, campaign, branding, programmatic and fundraising goals.
- Equally important will be raising awareness of humanitarian crises affecting children. The post holder also leads on the design and implementation of Media and Communications Strategy, with a special focus on enhancing the quality and frequency of internal and external communication products and media engagement.
- Media and Communication Manager will be a member of Extended Senior Management Team (ESMT).
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: Director of Advocacy and Campaign
- Staff directly reporting to this post: Digital Media and Communication Officer; Intern/s
- Technical responsibility: writing, editing, communication, quality control and campaign
- Budget responsibility: None
Key Areas of Accountability
Strengthen internal and external communications capacity
- Manage information and communication flows between all in-country programs and a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure that the branding and communication guidelines of Save the Children are uniformly and consistently followed across the Nigerian Country Programme
- Plan, coordinate and manage strategic communications to increase engagement, visibility and voice for SCI’s programs
- Manage the production of high quality communication products (including but not limited to infographics, factsheets, e-newsletter, brochures etc) and its consistent circulation to internal staff
- Manage the development of internal documents for the different internal communications platforms and ensure its compliance with SCI branding guidelines
- Regularly contribute stories and story ideas to the global and members’ corporate website to support fundraising efforts
- Provide communications capacity building trainings to internal staff
- Ensure that SCI Nigeria events, key national, regional and global events are communicated well
- Ensure that SCI Nigeria communication and visibility products are up to the expected standards
- Establish and manage SCI Nigeria content bank
- Manage the quality and efficiency of SCI Nigeria Social Media Channels and Workplace
- Ensure that Child Safeguarding procedure are strictly followed when children are involved in SCI media, internal and external communications activities
- Establish and manage a systematic communications product resource center at the Country Office
- Regularly update SCI Nigeria country intranet; produce project and program specific factsheets, info packs, flyers, and posters
- Manage and regularly update SCI Nigeria’s corporate website with high quality design & contents
- Promote Every Last Child, Girls Education Campaign and Stop the War on Children campaign through innovative and diversified publications and communications products
- Strengthening the way we communicate about our advocacy and campaign through producing series of campaign presentations and other supporting innovative communication materials to be circulated internally and externally
Strengthen Media Engagement, Organizational Visibility and Brand:
- Develop and implement a media and communications strategy aligned to Save the Children’s national, regional and global advocacy, campaign and humanitarian priorities.
- Build and maintain relationships with key national and international journalists and media outlets.
- Arrange media briefings and act as a spokesperson when required.
- Coach and brief colleagues ahead of media interviews and build the communications capacity of staff in the Country Office for effective media engagement.
- Plan, commission and carry out the collection of multimedia content for Save the Children media teams around the world as well as national and international media outlets.
- Ensure proper sign-off of all media materials by the Country Director, Director of Advocacy and Campaigns, CSG Advisor and the Global/Regional Media Unit where appropriate.
- Does content management of the SCI Nigeria website and all social media channels.
- Provide overall media and communications support to Advocacy and Campaigns Department:
- Support the Director of Advocacy and Campaign and perform other duties and tasks as determined by the line manager
- Undertake effective media monitoring for the Country Office and maintain an up to date media database.
- Stay up to date on developments on media tools and trends, including social media, and train colleagues on these as needed.
- Work to ensure maximum visibility of Every Last Child Campaign, Girls Education Campaign and Centenary Commitment in the media in line with campaign objectives.
- Act as a focal point for media requests from Save the Children member organisations around the world, working closely with the Regional Media Manager and Communication Manager for West and Central Africa and Save the Children International’s Global Media Unit and Global Communication Unit.
- Work closely with the heads of thematic areas to develop key messages and promote programmatic goals in the media.
- Draft newsworthy media releases aligned to advocacy, campaigns and humanitarian priorities, and reactive statements as necessary.
- Develop core materials including Q&A, key messages, case studies, blogs, and talking points.
- Facilitate national and international media visits showcasing issues relevant to advocacy, campaigns and humanitarian priorities, including to the North East when appropriate.
- Assist in the preparation of crisis communications plans, including risk mitigation strategies around sensitive issues affecting children, and recognise red lines for messaging.
Additional Job Responsibilities
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Internal: Advocacy, Campaigns and Policy Manager; Digital Media and Communication Officer; Humanitarian Information and Communication Coordinator; Community Engagement Coordinators; Project/Program and Area Managers; and all Advocacy & Campaign Unit staff members; Regional Communication Manager; Regional Media Manager; Global Communications Unit; Global Media Unit;
- External: Partner organisations, children, local communities, policymakers, media and communications firms
Competences and Behaviours (Our Values In Practice)
- Delivering results – Developing self and others – Working effectively with others – Communicating with impact
- Adhere to SCI Values: Accountability; Ambition; Collaboration; Creativity; Integrity
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Qualifications and Experience
- Master of Arts (MA) Degree in Media, Mass Communication or Print Journalism from a recognized higher educational institution
- Minimum of three years managerial work experience
- Commitment to SCI’s mission, values and approach
- Interest in child rights, public policy, research and development issues
- Ability to work well with people at all levels
- Strong initiative and self-motivation required, with a commitment to teamwork and effectiveness within a dynamic integrated project
- Ability and willingness to travel to project’s zones when required
- Fluency in English
- Demonstrated expert level ability in policy research, writing and communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills required, especially the ability to work comfortably in Adobe InDesign CS, Adobe Photoshop, Publisher, PPT, and expert in other communications and MS office package, layout and design software, applications
- Ability to work with people of different cultures
- Excellent interpersonal skills end ability to work successfully in team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to assess priorities and handle multiple tasks simultaneously to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality
- Excellent organizational, communication, publications and presentation skills
- Ability to work and manage various projects in steam salting with limited supervision
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process
Application Deadline 5th August, 2020.