The Norwegian Refugee Council Recruitment for Communication Technical Assistant 2023 – The Norwegian Refugee Council job is recruiting for a suitable candidates should kindly apply for the job position using the steps and job guideline provided in this article below.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication Technical Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
- These strategic locations have allowed NRC greater reach from the north and south parts of the North-East and North Central region and allowed NRC to contribute to bridging the gap between humanitarian aid and development cooperation, including by focusing on equitable access to basic services and strengthening the rights of displaced people and returnees.
- In addition to the Country Office and the above-mentioned Area Offices, NRC has sub-office structures in Dikwa, Monguno, Biu, Mubi, Pulka and Gwoza.
- We are looking for people who are passionate about helping refugees and people forced to flee.
- If you are those people, the Norwegian Refugee Council in Nigeria is looking for an enthusiastic and passionate Communication Technical Assistant to join our team in Maiduguri, Borno State.
- You will be responsible to assist in the day-to-day running of Health Safety, security, and Centre for Monitoring and Communications (CMC) on shift basis (day and night) by following the requirements set out in the CMC Standard Operating Procedures to enable safe monitoring and tracking of all staff, visitors and consultants.
- Monitor and track all NRC staff travels and movements in Borno, Adamawa, Plateau State, including travels across mission filed office in the North East, and other parts of Nigeria.
- Ensure that all staff traveling to field locations are issued with a working and fully charged communication device.
- Track the issuance of all communication devices and ensure that they are safely kept in good working conditions.
- Log in all daily travels/movements in the CMC communication log sheet.
- Draft and share Daily media scan with the Team Lead for further dissemination.
- Assist in monitoring open source channels (TV, radio, social media, etc) to collate and flag relevant information and update the CMC Team Leader.
- In training and retraining staff on the CMC operations and use of communications devices during visits to the field.
- Assist and Support the HSS Team in managing emergency incidents through communicating with various sources and taking up additional responsibilities as might be assigned by the CMC TL.
- Installation of communication devices and conduct regular repairs and necessary.
- Support with installation of new CCTV or fire alarm systems and carry out regular maintenance and upgrades.
- As assigned by the Supervisor, will conduct regular check on all electronic and monitoring devices and report any faults for further action.
- Work closely on a daily basis with Field Coordinators and Security Focal Persons (SFP) to conduct staff headcounts and submit report to the Supervisor.
- Coordinate with NRC Logistics to ensure that vehicles are assigned on a timely manner to facilitate airport pick-ups and drops off. This also includes coordinating vehicles dispatch assigned to expat staff in the evening and over the weekends.
- Receive all phones calls from NRC staff and professionally respond to their queries and disseminate accurate information as required.
- Draft security alert messages and share with Team Lead for review before disseminating to all staff.
- HND and / or Diploma in the Technical field or Trade Training in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Mass Communication, or Telecommunications. Bachelor’s Degree qualification in Social Studies, Administration, Security Management, Humanitarian / Refugee Affairs, and Disaster Risk Management, with technical capability will be considered.
- 1 to 2 years of working experience within a similar function or as a radio/operations rooms operator in with INGOs, the UN, or government or private sector.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including ability to fluently communicate in English (spoken & written). Understanding and speaking of local language in Borno is mandatory.
- Basic and advance computer skills is mandatory (MS Word, Excel, PPT, Outlook).
- Technical skills and training in installations, maintenance of security equipment such radios, CCTVs, fire alarms and other installations is required. Previous working skills of communication equipment (VHF Radio, Satellite Phones, GPS tracker) is added advantage.
- Basic web based mapping knowledge or GIS is desired.
Context / Specific Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Knowledge of the conflict and geographical context in North East Nigeria.
- The ability to travel regularly to the field (by road or air) independently or on short notice.
- Flexibility to work outside standard working hours including at night and during the weekends.
- Report writing skills and ability to make analysis of incidents and proactively source for information.
- Knowledge of Hausa and Kanuri, Fulani or other local languages in Borno State is mandatory.
- Experience with start-up communications room
- Ability to remain calm and composed when faced which highly demanding multiple situations which require quick actions
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply