The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries.
We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the below position below:
Job Title: Head of Finance
Contract Type: Locally Engaged
Pay Band: SMP
- The Head of Finance will have responsibility for all aspects of strategic and operational Finance in Nigeria, acting as the finance partner to the Country Director and Nigeria Executive Team.
- If successful in securing this opportunity, you will be responsible for ensuring the finance strategy delivers growth through new business operating models which conform to the British Council’s financial control standards and the broader corporate and regional objectives, whilst ensuring compliance with local tax and regulatory requirements.
- You will be a key member of the Nigeria Executive Team, working collaboratively with the Regional Sub Saharan Africa (SSA) Finance Team, and will actively contribute in the design and implementation of regional financial strategy in the country.
- You will play a critical role in bringing about change and transformation in the areas of tax compliance and reporting, external International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and introducing a commercial orientation in the way finance is handled going forward.
- Your leadership, experience in managing change, ability to coach, mentor and transform the team will be essential criteria for success in the role.
Challenges / Accountabilities:
- This role presents an excellent opportunity to contribute to the ongoing transformation while leading a team of professionals to deliver results. As a member of the Country Management Team (CMT), you will participate actively in country-level strategy, leadership, change management, policy and decision making.
- You will manage a spatially dispersed team while delivering services across various functions in a terrain which can be challenging. Effective service delivery and successful management of unique requirements posed by the commercial and non-profit entities are key deliverables.
- You will be expected to travel within Nigeria, regionally and more widely. As with any business that experiences peaks and troughs of activity, there is likely to be a need to work outside office hours from time to time.
- Qualified accountant or equivalent with proven experience of successfully managing and delivering in similar senior management roles
- Demonstrable experience of leading a high-performing team of professionals and working across functions/locations
- Experience of leading on change/ transformation projects
- Strong knowledge of Nigerian Tax and reporting regulatory requirements
- 5 years of relevant experience in commercial and/or ‘not-for-profit‘ organization
- Commercial experience, including analysis of business operations, financial modelling, investment appraisal feasibility analysis
- Qualified accountant or equivalent with audit experience at Audit Senior or Audit Manager level in reputable audit firm (experience auditing commercial organisations will be considered)
- Extensive project management with regards to change with evidence of leading and delivering results
- Experience of operating in international and multi-cultural organisations
- Evidence of being a key decision-maker i.e. a member of board or senior management team
- Experience of managing government-funded projects
- We offer a competitive remuneration package, medical aid and pension included
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: All applicants should have a pre-existing legal status to live and work in Nigeria. The British Council will not facilitate/sponsor visa applications and work permits
Application Deadline 7th September, 2020.
Do you want a Job today? Click Here to see New Jobs in Nigeria Now!
Get more jobs like this in your email for free!