BBC World Service Recruitment 2022 Journalist – Social Media – The BBC World Service is seeking competent professionals suitable for the position of a Journalist. Interested candidates should kindly follow the descriptions listed below to apply.
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic multi-million pound expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a wide range of new and exciting language and regional content to serve African and global audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Journalist – Social Media
Job Reference: BBC/TP/2269572/60431
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract type: 6 month Fixed Term Contract
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
- Originate and produce, as part of a team, a wide variety of news and current affairs content for relevant output.
- Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- May be required to present the content on radio, TV or online. This might be live or recorded.
- May include the production and presentation of programmes. This might be live or recorded.
- Exercise editorial judgment in developing story ideas and producing accurate and impartial journalism.
- To undertake pre- and post-production and studio work, live and pre-recorded. Use a range of video, audio anddigital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver programmes in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
- To liaise closely with other team members and with other departments in the BBC, to ensure that output material is shared, duplication is avoided, and best practice is upheld.
- Take a lead within a team setting or on delivering a specific piece of journalism or project as appropriate.
- To tailor different news treatments for different audiences ensuring that the output reflects the audiences we serve.
- To prioritise and plan activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources available.
- To produce engaging packages through a range of production skills.
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC health and safety policy.
- Covers a wide range of journalism activity, producing news content and supporting the production and presentation of programming.
- High level of responsibility and decision making; able to operate alone.
- No managerial responsibility. May be informally supported by junior staff i.e. Researchers, Coordinators and Assistants.
- The successful candidate will be a fluent Hausa speaker and writer, with a very good level of English.
- A keen interest in current affairs and digital market developments in Nigeria and other West African countries is essential.
- An excellent working knowledge of social media platforms is required, together with experience of practical newsgathering.
- You will have a good knowledge of social media optimization, analytics and newsgathering tools. A strong editorial and production background is also important.
- This role is based in Abuja but requires traveling to other locations.
- The selected person will be required to work closely with the BBC digital teams in Abuja, Lagos and Nairobi.
- The candidate must be a team player and should be ready to adjust to the requirements of field news reporting if and when required.
- Significant recent experience as a journalist, with a good knowledge of production techniques.
- Demonstrates sound editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage and the audience.
- Ability to use technology as required, in order to gather material for broadcast.
- Understands how a team works effectively.
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC.
- Effective planning and organising skills, ability to concentrate on several areas of work at one time, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities.
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output.
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances.
- An understanding of health and safety procedures and how they apply to broadcasting.
Application Closing Date
6th May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Enter your email address below and get more Update like this for free!
Subscribe to the site Jobrecruitmentportal.com using your Email address. Subscription is totally FREE
Be the first to comment